Monday 9 February 2015

uClibc based toolchain using Gentoo for NSLU2

I was asked in the previous post why I didn't used the Debian armel port for my NSLU2.

My intention was to create a uclibc based system (and a uclibc based toolchain) for my NSLU2. This was not obvious in the post because building the uclibc based toolchain resulted in this error:
crossdev armv5-softfloat-linux-uclibceabi
[..]/var/tmp/portage/cross-armv5-softfloat-linux-uclibceabi/gcc-4.9.2/work/gcc-4.9.2/libsanitizer/sanitizer_common/sanitizer_platform_limits_posix.cc:67:21: fatal error: wordexp.h: No such file or directory
 #include
                     ^

compilation terminated.
Makefile:416: recipe for target 'sanitizer_platform_limits_posix.lo' failed
make[4]: *** [sanitizer_platform_limits_posix.lo] Error 1
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

So, yesterday, to not forget what I did, I tried building a glibc based toolchain and posted that.

Today, after looking at the offending error, it seems gcc 4.9.2 assumes wordexp.h is always available on non-Android platforms and Gentoo does not make that file availble when installing uclibc.


I think the problem was introduced in gcc in 2013 with this commit, but I haven't cheked in detail. What I know for sure is that gcc 4.8.3 works at this moment with uclibc and the buildroot guys are still using gcc 4.8.4 in their default uClibc based toolchain. So here it is the command that generated the uClibc based toolchain:

crossdev --g 4.8.3 armv5-softfloat-linux-uclibceabi

I hope this helps other people. Yes, I know I should report the issue to GCC/Gentoo after further investigation.

No comments: