Thursday 22 March 2007

Dear lazyweb I am looking for an IRC proxy...

I know that I have seen somebody blogging about irc proxies and I remember that somebody said that there was a better alternative than dircproxy, but I can't find that article, although I know I flagged it...

So, dear lazyweb, do you know of a good irc proxy which is better than dircproxy and is packaged in Debian (Etch)? I am especially interested in one that can connect to multiple networks and which doesn't force me to change my IRC client (so I don't care about screen+some_console_irc_client). Oh, yes, it must not need a degree in rocket science to configure (dircproxy is ok).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried both bip and ezbounce. I had trouble with bip, but found ezbounce easy to use. Debian only makes it available in oldstable, so I compiled from source.

sntg said...

cttrlproxy may help you

sntg said...

sorry, i mispelled the name, is ctrlproxy

jamessan said...

I actually use my irc client (irssi) as my irc proxy. You just need an irssi which is compiled with proxy support (which Debian's is). Documentation is at http://www.irssi.org/documentation/proxy

Anonymous said...

Here it is:
http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=226

Anonymous said...

Use bip, it's a mutliuser irc proxy so I can be connected to it from multiple machines at the simultaneously. Not to mention the debian maintainer is also the upstream and is extremely responsive to bugs and feature requests.

Unknown said...

I'm using muh, and I'm very happy with it, but I'm considering to try out bip and miau which probably have a more active development community

Anonymous said...

I've been using znc for a while, with three other people connecting to the same proxy.

Two features drew me towards it:
1. Multi-user, multi-connection. I can connect to it multiple times per username, and I can have a bunch of different usernames connected to it.
2. SSL encryption. I do consulting work, but I like to connect back to IRC to chat with my friends. It's not a work-safe channel, so I would prefer to have it encrypted through their firewalls.

mmrriad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.