Why would I want that?
- I need to debug the i386 variant
- I don't want to screw up my system
- I need a large display since the program uses some big data structures and need to see them at the same time (no, pretty print is not enough)
- actually I would like to use DDD or something like that so I don't feel (that much) like a cripple man (I always had this feeling when facing the task of using gdb - powerful but feels incredibly like a huge hack and the interface is planly ugly from an usability POV)
- cgdb is not enough and has a marginal gain compared to plain gdb (and you loose tab completion)
- I wasn't planning on installing X in the qemu machine
Now, after reading all kinds of threads on the net, reading qemu's docs and gdb's docs, I gave up, I am installing X in the qemu machine.
BTW, I couldn't find a way to tell DDD to connect to a socket to debug :-/.
Of course, any help and advices would be mostly appreciated.